Nothing taste more of Christmas then gløgg – and nothing can bring together family and friends than gløgg served with warm ebelskivers!
Mulled wine or gløgg is basically just a spiced and sweetened, heated red wine added raisins and chopped almonds.
- 4 cups water
- 2 lemons, cut in wedges
- 3 oranges, cut in wedges
- 12 cinnamon sticks
- 5 pieces of cloves
- 3” of fresh ginger, cut i small pieces
- 1 tablespoon cardamom
- 5 pieces of star anise
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 2 cups of syrup (any kind)
- To begin with you mix all the ingredients in a large pot and heat it up for a few minutes (until the sugar is melted) BUT be careful not to bring it to a boil!
- Next you will have to let the mixture rest for minimum 2 days – preferable 3-4 days in the refrigerator with a lid over the mixture.
- Finally after a few days rest you sieve the mixture and pour the extract into glass bottles. It is now ready to use.
Warm Mulled Wine or Danish Gløgg
- 1/4 of the extract
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 1 cup of chopped, blanched almonds
- 1 cup of raisins
First mix all the ingredients in a large pot.
Heat up slowly (do NOT boil!)
And just to sum it up; you simply heat up the extract with the above combination of red wine, almonds and raisins.
Serve the warm gløgg in tall glasses with a spoon to dig up the almonds and raisins!
However, if you want to serve the gløgg it the traditional danish way, you serve the gløgg with homemade ebelskivers, jam and powdered sugar by the side.
Ho Ho Ho… and happy, happy Christmas!
Store the extract in the refrigerator.
Use within a month
Keywords: mulled wine, danish gløgg, gløgg, gløgg extract, hot red wine, spiced red wine, drink, hot drink, christmas,