A wonderful, healthy treat we pamper us with for breakfast or a quick snack is with danish crisp bread.
We danes also call it “knækbrød” which is poorly translated into something like “crack bread”.
Crisp bread are small, flat, crunchy pieces of bread that almost breaks into pieces when you take a bite. Yummy!
You can top them with whatever you like, but my favorite toppings are cheese with jam and homemade chutney.
But they are fantastic for a cheese platter or dips like hummus.
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup flaxseed
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- ¾ cup water
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of coarse salt
- Start by roasting all the grains gently on a pan.
- Then you mix the roasted grains with flour, baking powder, oil, water and salt.
- Mix well with a spatula.
- Finally you divide the dough into two equal portions and roll them out between a silicone baking surface (in the bottom) and a piece of baking paper (on the top). In this way you can easily roll out the dough without it sticking to the rolling pin. You should be able to roll it out so thin that it covers the entire surface of your silicone mat.
- Now you remove the top layer of baking paper.
- Use the spatula to cut the dough into small squares and then bake them at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes.
Have a crisp pleasure!
Store in an air tight container.
Keywords: bread, crisp bread, knækbrød, grains, healthy, crispy,