This recipe makes about 40 sticks, but do not hesitate making a larger portion – they go well in the freezer.
You can also flavor them with herbs or seeds if you like – or just enjoy them plain.
Ingredients: (ca 40 sticks)
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1 tablespoon honey or sugar
1 ¾ cup warm water
1 ¼ cup flour
1 cup Semolina durum wheat flour (or plain flour)
1 teaspoon coarse salt
– Activate the dry yeast by mixing it with hand warm water and honey/sugar. Let stand for a few minutes until it begins to bubble a bit – then the yeast is activated.
– Combine remaining ingredients and knead thoroughly – preferably 10-15 minutes!
– Let the dough rise for 1 or 1 ½ hour until twice its size.
– Sprinkle a little Semolina flour on the table and roll the dough thin.
– Cut the dough into long strings (pencil thickness)
– Place them on a baking sheet with wax paper and let them rise for ½ hour.
– Bake about 12 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
– The Grissini have to be baked completely so they are nice and crisp.
May be stored in an airtight container in a few weeks.